Dr. Harmen Jousma
T: +31 (0)71 5274424
M: +31 (0)6 52321076
Address: Snellius Buidling, Room 104,
Niels Bohrweg 1, 2333 CA Leiden
- Function description
Harmen Jousma is director of the educational program Science Based Business and lectures on Technopreneurship at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of Leiden University, the Netherlands. He holds a BSc and MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences and obtained his PhD on research in the area of Pharmaceutical Technology. He worked at the Leiden/Amsterdam Center for Drug Research (LACDR) in various managerial capacities involving institutional strategy, educational, research and financial policies, and licensing and technology transfer. He was editor-in-chief of the Newsletter of the Dutch Society of Pharmaceutical Sciences and co-founder and Chairman of the editorial board of Conceptuur, the magazine on drug research in the Netherlands.Working for the executive board of Leiden University, he founded and served as managing director of the holding company Libertatis Ergo BV. He was involved in the founding of several university spin-off companies. Working for ScreenTec (now Kiadis) he helped raise its first round of VC-financing. For the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, he designed and set up the program Science Based Business. His current interests are with educating science students who consider careers outside (fundamental) research and with teaching and research on science-based entrepreneurship in particular.
- Considering pharmaceutical royalties (Published in les Nouvelles, Volume XXXX (2), pp. 65-77)
- The roles of scientists in the start-up of academic spin-off companies in the Life Sciences in the Netherlands (working paper, December 2005)
- Verdeling van financieel belang tussen oprichters van academische spin-offs (working paper, December 2005)
- Science-based business studies at Leiden University (in Industry & Higher Education, August 2006)
- Responsibility and the entrepreneurial roles of scientists (in Genecom Newsletter December 2006)
- Ondernemendheid en Ondernemerschap in het Hoger Onderwijs: voor iedereen die het verschil wil maken (SenterNovem, mei 2007)
- Harmen Jousma and Victor Scholten (2007), “The Roles of Scientists in Starting-up Research-Based Spin-off Companies”. In: D. Remenyi (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2nd European Conference on Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Academic Conferences Limited, Reading, UK, pp 67-74.